Noteworthy provisions of RERA Telangana: a must-know for home buyers in Hyderabad!
RERA stands for ‘Real Estate Regulatory Authority‘, and this Act was established to regulate the real estate sector, and to protect home buyers from being taken for a ride by builders.
1. Key objectives of RERA
- To protect the interest home buyers
- To secure transparency and reduce fraud or delayed-possession
- To implement standardization and uphold professionalism
- To ensure truth and right information us upheld home buyers and builders
- To impose high level of responsibilities on builders, investors
- To enforce contracts and have a reliable/fast-track mechanism of dispute resolution
- To make the real estate sector reliable and thereby increase confidence amongst the investors as well as home buyers
RERA has been implemented in Telangana state that only establishes ‘good governance’ by making builders accountable for their actions, and get them to deliver on the expectations. The home buyer bears the brunt of bad intentions of a builder, and this kind of check and balances mechanism protects the vulnerable home buyers.
2. Key provisions about RERA Telangana
1. Projects that come under RERA
- Real estate projects where building permissions are approved by UDAs / DTCP / Municipal Corporations / Municipalities / Nagar Panchayats / TSIIC
- Not under RERA: i) land less than 500 square meters, ii) apartments proposed are less than 8, iii) Renovation or repair or re-development done without marketing, advertising selling or new allotment of any apartment as part of this
2. Responsibility of a builder or promoter upon delays
- An Allottee needs to be compensated by the promoter due to delay in completion of the project
3. Permissions for the real estate project before applying for registration to TSRERA
- Before applying for registration to TSRERA, the builder must obtain all statutory permissions from the Competent Authorities
- This ensures that all the relevant documents are in order, and home buyer is protected
4. Penalty on builders if residential project is not registered
- Builder has to pay a penalty up to 10% of the estimated cost of the real estate project
- Upon violation, a builder can be sent to prison up to three years or with fine
5. Checking if a Real Estate Project is registered under TSRERA
- The TSRERA website displays all the registered projects
- All advertisements by the builder must carry the TSRERA registration number- its mandatory!
- Interest of the home buyer is taken care when RERA registration is revoked for any reason
6. Timely completion of residential project
- While applying for registration to TSRERA, a builder has to declare with an affidavit clearly indicating the time frame of project completion
- Delay results in penalties for the builder
- Under the RERA act, a builder can be imprisoned for up to 3 years. They can also be fined to the extent of 10% of the estimated cost of the real estate project upon being non-compliant with the provisions of the RERA Act
7. Lodging a complaint against the builder
- As per Telangana Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Rules, 2017, a home buyer can file a complaint with TSRERA online
- The system is made efficient and time-bound to protect the buyer interest
- Complaints need to be managed within sixty days from the date of filing. The Real Estate Regulatory Authority even records reasons for delay in disposing-off complaints
8. Use of money paid by home buyers towards their dream home
- 70% of amounts paid by home buyers from time to time are to be deposited in a separate account in a bank
- This money has to be used for cost of construction and the land cost only
Thus, if you are buying a residential home project where land is in excess of 500 square meters, you must look for a RERA Telangana registration number
The RERA Act in Telangana is a boon for the home buyers to take away worries like delay in possession etc. RERA Telangana offers ‘peace of mind ‘ to vulnerable home buyers!
Marcus Tullius Cicero “Peace is liberty in tranquility.”Marcus Tullius Cicero
To know more about “Benefits & Implications of a RERA registered home or property for home buyers in Hyderabad, Telangana”. Click here!