Double-check RERA and GHMC approval before you book your 3 BHK flat in Hyderabad
Homebuyers seeking to buy a 3 BHK or bigger apartment in a standalone building in Hyderabad must check on approvals from GHMC and RERA before booking an apartment. This will ensure peace of mind.
Besides these, one should also ‘personally evidence’ the previously delivered projects of the builder, and enquire about ‘possession timelines’. This gives you a good indicator of the seriousness and professionalism of a builder.
For identifying the right property or apartment in Hyderabad, you definitely need to check two things:
1) RERA registration
2) GHMC Approval (or Building Permit)
- The project has to be RERA approved before you handover the token-advance
- RERA registration puts the builder under the scanner of the Government Act. Prior to 2016, there many builders took home buyers for a ride. This was largely because of the absence of a regulatory or controlling authority
- RERA registration keeps a tight-rope tab on the builders
- With RERA, a builder cannot get away with delays, poor quality, or take your money and use it for purposes other than construction of your apartment
- RERA registration number is allotted to a project only after proper documents are submitted by the builder. These include legal title, builder details, project plan sanction, and all the details regarding the flat including completion dates
- Simply put, RERA makes a builder accountable
GHMC approval (Hyderabad)
- Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) is the civic authority for protecting the residents of Hyderabad. It also closely monitors construction activity of the builder
- GHMC protects the home buyers’ interests by ensuring that every legal document is in order
- Without Building Permit, a builder cannot begin construction
- The Town Planning Authority in Hyderabad (part of GHMC) grants the Building Permit
- GHMC evaluates the nature and type of building, and checks whether or not the builder is following building permission rules
- Obtaining a GHMC building permit a builder is not an easy task. A host of documents are required to be submitted by the builder. This includes building plans, sewage plans, and rain-water-harvesting-pits plan, authentication of the builder/architect/structural-engineer, ownership and linked documents to prove evidence of complete ownership and so on
- In addition, GHMC also seeks important documents like Soil test report, Structure stability certificate, insurance for 6 years. All these make the building safe for the home buyers’ future
- More than a dozen NOCs are obtained by the builder finally obtain GHMC building permit. These NOCs are to make sure that the property is legally fit and safe for construction, and does NOT violate the law of the land
- These No Objection certificates come from departments like fire services, urban land ceiling, revenue, traffic police, Airports Authority of India, pollution board, Electricity department, and National Monuments Authority
- GHMC Building Permit is a powerful deterrent to keep nasty builders under check
However, many builders treat these approvals only to comply superficially. Hence, it is important for a home buyer to know about the specifications and brand of materials being used in construction. The type of fixtures, fittings and accessories in the exterior and interiors determine the level of professionalism and QUALITY CONSCIOUSNESS a builder displays.
Being aware of legal requirements secures your peace of mind!
To quote Roy T. Bennett- “Nothing can disturb your peace of mind unless you allow it to.”
To know more about “Tips on evaluating QUALITY vs. PRICE- a ‘wise approach’ before booking your 3 BHK flat in Hyderabad” Click here