Home buyers in Hyderabad are now more inclined to buy bigger residences than ever before. COVID-19 has definitely triggered an overall change in a home-buyers lifestyle, priorities and perspectives, be it Hyderabad or elsewhere.
Home buyers in Hyderabad who were earlier looking for a 2BHK are clearly favouring a 3 BHK with a utility room in the post-pandemic era. A 2bhk is small and falls short of expectations. A 2 BHK means that you get 2 bedrooms (one master, and second smaller room), 1 hall (or living cum dining), and 1 kitchen (with or without a utility room), and two bathrooms.
A 3bhk, on the other hand, is a winner! With it, you get 3 bedrooms (comprising one master, and two smaller bedrooms), 1 hall (living cum dining), and 1 kitchen (with or without utility), and 3 bathrooms.
The top 5 reasons for this clear preference for a 3 BHK by the home buyers in Hyderabad can be attributed to:
- 5 reasons why home buyers in Hyderabad are preferring a more spacious 3 bhk over a 2bhk
- Change in priorities after COVID-19 coupled with cost factor
- Need to stay indoors and work-from-home and children’s priorities
- Psychological and physical well-being and fitness needs
- Overall benefits over-weighing over the ‘price differential’ between a 2 & 3BHK
- Need to be more self-reliant with efficient laundry and storage spaces
Let’s dwell on these further…
1. Change in priorities after COVID-19 coupled with cost factor
- More space is a clear requirement for a healthier mental state of all the family members living in an apartment
- With the ‘new world order’ where quarantine and social distancing may be needed, even family members may be forced to maintain physical distance between themselves for mutual safety
- With 2 BHK homes less 1200 sft, this flexibility/option of having enough distance amongst family-members is just not possible
- Even otherwise, it is safer for nuclear families comprising of two-generations- ‘parents and their two unmarried children’ to have separate rooms for both the children
2. Need to stay indoors and work-from-home and children’s priorities
- Work from home requirements have created more stress on the homes. This is because, the smaller homes are just NOT designed for work-from-home reality!
- If both husband and wife are working from home, they need additional, non—intrusive spaces for themselves
- Bedrooms need to have additional smartly designed spaces as workstations in the bedrooms
- Even open-kitchen could be explored as an option to get more spaces- for ‘work-from-home’ and for various ‘multi-tasking activities’
- Children also need to attend to their school or college online-classes from their bedroom
- Working children on the other hand could also be ‘working-from-home’
3. Psychological and physical well-being and fitness needs
- A small 2 BHK is far more suffocating compared to a spacious 3 BHK
- More space simply means more cheer, more joy, and lesser depression
- Normally, 3 bedroom apartments also come with balconies, and keeps you connected to the outside world, and allows you to have unrestricted views of the blue skyline- a benefit that truly lifts-up your mood and state-of-mind. This is not so easily doable in a smaller 2 BHK apartment
- Even if the family is a small one comprising only 3 members, you could have an extra 3rd room put to effective use as a play/exercise area ‘work-from-home’ area, or for entertainment/indoor-games etc.
- With a 3rd bedroom space is that you do NOT run out of space in the times of need
- Plus, you get more space to walk, straighten-your-legs, and feel ‘agile and fit’
- Additionally, if any family member needs to be quarantined/isolated, an extra 3rd room makes that possible!
4. Overall benefits over-weighing over the ‘price differential’ between a 2 & 3BHK
- On the cost factor, a 3 BHK is about 20% to 30% more expensive compared to a 2 BHK. For example, instead of spending 50 lacs, if you spend an additional 10 to 15 lacs, you gain much more!!
- It’s not every day that you buy a home, and with an additional cost, you actually get a much bigger and better home
- The additional money spent on a 3 BHK may get you incremental increase in the sizes of all the rooms- you could bet bigger living-rooms, bigger bed-rooms for all, a bigger utility room, and additional bathroom
- Besides, a 3 BHK gives a home buyer safety and quality-living
5. Need to be more self-reliant with efficient laundry and storage spaces
- In a post-pandemic scenario one needs to be self-reliant in being able to manage our laundry (washing/ironing/drying clothes)
- Unless we have an efficient utility room, this cannot happen
- Plus, we need to have the apparatus prepared in case we do not have access to laundry man (dhobi)¸or should we want to deliberately avoid any scope of outside human intervention
- Indian kitchen also requires excessive storage space for items like groceries, cutlery, dry food bags, Big 20 Ltr. Water bottles, dry vegetables, beverages etc.
- We can even have a wash-basin in the utility room to cater to heavy washing of utensils, or hand-wash/cleaning of small clothes
- The utility room is also used for storing clothes as per seasons. For instance, the monsoon-season rain-gear, travel bags, or winter-clothing etc.
- Utility also serves as room for pets
- The utility room is also to be used for drying of clothes, and also be inviting to work-in
As a first-time home buyer in Hyderabad, it makes sense to upgrade to a 3 BHK for the larger good of the family. Times have changed, and our current lifestyle and requirements have become more family-centric.
The home-buyers in Hyderabad recognize this, and are willing to stretch their budget in favour of a 3 BHK for their family safety and happiness.